Recent Why SERVPRO Posts
Holiday Restoration Professionals
With holidays approaching rapidly we at SERVPRO of Ojai/Montecito know this would be the worst possible time to have to deal with the headache of dealing with a water or fire loss. We would much rather homeowners and business owners be with their loved ones celebrating the happy season. But disaster waits for no one and more than likely never happens at the best time.
Don't be afraid to call us! Even on holidays our teams are available and work around the clock. No job is too big, too small, too far, and too much of a hassle for us to handle. If you suffer from a holiday water and/or fire loss this holiday season be sure to call the professionals at SERVPRO first.
Why SERVPRO Should Be Your First Call
SERVPRO professionals understand all of your situations when it comes to remediating water, fire, mold, or storm damage.
Our technicians have regular training, even if they are the most knowledgeable in the game. We make sure to have refresher courses and are constantly studying up with our crews to make sure they always know what to do. You can trust that when a SERVPRO technician enters your home you will be satisfied with them.
Restoring property is SERVPRO's first priority. You will appreciate the immediate response and you will know everything is being done to limit the damage. It doesn't matter what time or what day you call we will have a crew to you in a matter of hours, assessing the damage, and beginning work on your home.
Fire Safety Tips To Protect Your Pets From Potential Danger
According to the American Red Cross, home fires are the most common disaster they respond to - and also the most preventable. Planning ahead is the best way to promote the safety of the people and animals in your home. From preventative caution to making an evacuation plan which should include pet safety.
Here are some steps to protect your pets:
- They should have their own disaster supplies kit ready in advance which should include food, water, pet records, spare collars and/or leashes in case you need to control or calm them from being frightened.
- Have a safe place for them to stay if you need to leave your home.
- Include your pets and take them with you when you practice your escape plan. Train them to come to you when you call for them.
Following these steps can lower the risk of harming your pets from a fire.
Here Are 10 Tips To Avoid Water Damage To Your Home
In Southern California, there are ways to protect yourself against costly water losses and claims. Follow these 10 easy tips to keep your home safe and well-maintained:
On The Outside:
- Maintain Trees and Vegetation
Thriving shrubs can be a beautiful thing – except when their roots wrap around your pipes and break them. That’s why it’s important to minimize landscaping near utility pipes or, if necessary, remove trees and shrubs that have become too big.
- Clean Gutters and Downspouts
Clean your gutters at least twice a year to avoid blockage and ice dams. Standing water can cause damage to your gutters and roof, and unmanaged overflow may create puddles that could damage your foundation. Don’t forget to clean downspouts to ensure water can flow through, and secure downspouts so that they point away from the home.
- Disconnect Hoses
Standing water in a hose may freeze back into the pipe and create an ice block that may bust your pipes and create damage to walls, floor, and foundation.
On the Inside:
- Know your Water Main
Know the location of your water main and shut it off if you leave for an extended amount of time. If no water goes into the house, chances are no faucet drips can wreak havoc on your home.
- Check Appliances Regularly
Check and maintain your appliances regularly for leaks according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Investigate Leaks Right Away and Fix Promptly
If you opt to ignore moisture damage or postpone making the necessary repairs be prepared to experience mold, mildew, dry rot, or even structural damage to your home. Keep in mind that homeowner’s insurance provides coverage for damage that is sudden and accidental. Damage that results from a lack of maintenance is not covered on a standard homeowner’s insurance policy.
- Upgrade Washing Machine Hoses
Old, brittle, or leaky washing machine hoses are among the most frequent causes of water loss for homeowners. Replace yours regularly to avoid a mighty mess and expensive damage.
- Install Water Detection Devices
A water detector is a small electronic device that sounds an alarm when its sensor is in contact with moisture. Its main benefit is that it detects low moisture levels or slow leaks that often go unnoticed. Install it near water heaters, sump pumps, washing machines, dishwashers, and toilets to prevent extensive damage and mold growth.
- Check Your Water Pressure
If the water pressure to your home is set too high, pipes and hoses may fail under the pressure. Buy a water pressure gauge at a local hardware store, attach it to an outside faucet, and turn the faucet to full force. The gauge will give you a reading of the home’s water pressure. Typical residential water systems are designed for water pressure of 40 – 70 psi. If your home’s water pressure exceeds 100psi, install a pressure regulator (which is available at hardware stores as well.)
- Do Monitor Your Water Bill
Sometimes, the only way you know that water is leaking is by taking a closer look at your water bill. If your usage jumps significantly from one month to the next without explanation, put your “water detective’s hat” on. Is there a leak in your crawlspace? Or, is it a pipe in your front yard? Don’t leave mystery leaks unattended!
Call us if you have any questions! We are here to help!
Working From Home? Here Is Our Guide To Staying Productive And Being Successful
Working from home for the first time? Work and make it work!
As coronavirus changes the daily lives of Americans, lately many of us get the privilege to work from home to be safe. There are certain perks to working from home. You officially have the shortest commute and your meetings do not happen in the conference room. But, if you are not careful, working from home can also come with some downsides. If you are the type to get distracted easily, do not worry, there is hope.
Here is our guide to staying productive. Want to know if they work? Well, this blog you are reading right now was written from home sweet home.
1. Get an office. Set aside a whole room or a portion of your home that is for all business and only business. Your bed would not be the ideal location to set up your office because that is where you sleep.
2. Get rid of background noise. Be aware of how productive you are while listening to music. Playing music all day helps some people while it can distract others. So, find out which one you are.
3. Break a sweat! Since gyms are shut down in California for a while due to the Covid-19 virus outbreak, make it apart of your job to set aside about 30 minutes to an hour to get your body moving at home. Working from home can reduce the amount of calories we burn in a day. You can still workout outside in nature. You could even throw on a workout video to your liking on YouTube. So, grab that jump rope, some light weights or both. No excuses.
4. Keep essentials in your workspace. Keep items such as snacks, coffee or a cozy sweater near your desk. This is a way to prevent you from getting up to grab something and encountering who-knows-what distractions around the house.
5. Know when to take a break. When your home is also your office, it can feel like you are always working. Decide when you are done for the day, and stick to it.
6. Communicate! Make sure to stay in communication with people throughout the day. Chat with colleagues, schedule phone meetings or even check in on Zoom. This will make you feel less lonely and it will also make you feel like an asset to the company you are working for.
7. Get Dressed. Keep your outfit casual and comfortable, but not in the pajama family. It might sound unnecessary, but you will feel more professional, and you will be prepared if a last-minute meeting comes up.
8. Keep things clean! Make sure to always have your workspace clean by the end of the day, so when you come back to it the next day, you are ready to work without clutter. Also doing this will help reduce trash from piling up.
9. Look at the perks of working from home. You are home during the day. Do you realize what that means? You save on gasoline because you don't have to drive to the office. Most importantly, you won't get anyone sick if you come to work with a sniffle. The more you enjoy working from home, the more you will enjoy your job. Now, get back to work!
Got Mold? We Are The Experts In Mold Remediation!
Garage platform and car lift assembly located in Calabasas, California, where our team performed detailed cleaning and disinfecting.
Garage platform and car lift assembly located in Calabasas, California, where our team performed detailed cleaning and disinfecting. Our team utilized botanical disinfectants and photo-documented before during and after for complete transparency. Upon removal cleared all subterranean drains. Our team utilized a high-pressure steam pressure washing system.
The homeowner was referred to our office by a very prestigious and well-known luxury home builder. We also have pressure washers that will recover the water if contaminated and/or the city requires water drainage to be in a sanitary drain. We are very cognizant of the drought that plagues California and used only the necessary amount of water when pressure-washing both residential and sophisticated commercial or industrial building structures.
Sometimes we pressure wash inside of commercial/industrial concrete tilt-up buildings. We have performed this type of work in the city of Vernon and throughout the greater Los Angeles area. We are a preferred vendor for the California Department of Motor Vehicles and perform their exterior cleanup.
Around the Clock
Our technicians are always on call, so never be afraid to dial SERVPRO.
SERVPRO is known for being faster to any size disaster, commercial or residential. When compared to other restoration companies SERVPRO of Ojai/Montecito is not only on site the quickest but maximizes the job to make sure they are faster when also getting you back into your home or place of business. Why SERVPRO? Because we understand what it means to be the leader in restoration not just in our city but across the nation, being a company that is available 24/7 we are truly around the clock. SERVPRO of Ojai/Montecito has a professional always on call to make sure we are ready to jump into action no matter what time it is or what the job call may be! You’ll never have to worry about what time your emergency may happen knowing that we will be there for you immediately.
What You Should Look for in a Restoration Company
SERVPRO is ready for your disaster.
Even though it seems to be smooth sailing you should always be taking proactive steps to manage the potential risk that disaster(s) could bring your commercial property. Take the time to establish a working relationship with a commercial emergency restoration management company, such as SERVPRO, that you may need in the future. Here are some things to look for when you are shopping around.
- Are they a 24 hour emergency response team? If 25/8 was a thing SERVPRO is on it, never be afraid to call us because we will be there.
- Do they work with your insurance? Of course, we want you to be covered so we will do our part to help you and communicate with all parties involved.
- Are they safe and reliable? Absolutely, we hold team meetings every morning to go over a new or refresher topic of safety to keep everyone reliable and aware.
- Do they have expert technicians and the experience? All of our technicians and office staff are IICRC trained and have continual training to ensure they are up to date and aware of all possible losses.
- Will they update you and keep your file safe? Yes, we promise daily updates to both you and your insurance company so you will never be in the dark.
These are all great questions to have and to ask. At SERVPRO of Ojai/Montecito we can guarantee that you will be more than satisfied with us as your primary commercial disaster response team because we know we can make it “Like it never even happened.”
IICRC is important to us and continuing our education for us should be important to you too!
IICRC, the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoring Certification, is a nonprofit organization that develops and publishes standards detailing the proper procedures for safe cleaning and restoration. SERVPRO of Ojai/Montecito prides ourselves on having our technicians as well as office staff to be IICRC certified. Being up to IICRC standards allows all of our employees to have the best knowledge industry standard training giving each and every one of our customers the best service. We are constantly holding classes for employees and professionals be up to date and work towards new certifications in areas such as: Applied Structural Drying, Commercial Drying, Fire and Smoke, Mold Removal, etc. This helps us to ensure that no matter what situation clients can always rest assured that they are choosing the best restoration company.
Our SERVPRO Promise to You
It's our promise to you that you won't be disappointed with us in an already stressful situation.
You would think this questions would be easy but it isn’t. In your city there could be dozens of restoration companies that you could choose from. Your insurance agent will probably recommend some restoration companies to you but you might want to research for yourself. And we are to tell you that SERVPRO of Ojai/Montecito can promise that we are around the clock, reliable, and professional. We have been around for just under a decade and we understand that you might Google names like Service Master or Restoration Management Company but we promise we want to work with you and your insurance agent to get you back to living like normal. You can always check out our Yelp page for more customer testimonials or we are just a call away to explain to us what your issue is, we want to deal with your restoration issues! Our promise is that you won’t be disappointed you chose us as your experts.
We Are #1
You can rely on us to be the best restoration company you ever deal with.
When you simply google "fire damage restoration", "water damage", "commercial restoration" lots of information pops up and it seems overwhelming, especially if you have never been placed in a situation like this before. It can be an absolute nightmare if you don't deal with professionals and you should always do your due diligence check first. With SERVPRO of Ojai/Montecito, you'll never have to worry about what other restoration companies are doing, as a franchise, we are held to an industry standard that holds true for the entire company and we pride ourselves in being #1 not only in the nation but in the Los Angeles County. All of our technicians are IICRC certified and have continuous training, our office staff is available to you 24/7 and we are known to get you back into your property as timely as possible. If you ever suffer fire damage you should always call SERVPRO.
Why SERVPRO of Ojai/Montecito?
Fires blazed through Ojai, we were there to help.
SERVPRO of Ojai/Montecito is the newest franchise under the umbrella of team Alan Reed. Alan and his partners started out with Moorpark, Fillmore, and Santa Paula and then within the last two years have also acquired Encino/Sherman Oaks, Simi Valley, and Studio City/Valley Village.
After the Thomas Fire broke out Alan's team was there for months helping with the community to put all the pieces back together. They worked on both homes and large establishments until every project was completed.
Every single on of our technicians and office staff has IICRC training, which means that even if you call with a question we will be able to help you.
We pride ourselves on being the best restoration team out there and you can always trust SERVPRO of Ojai/Montecito with your home or place of business.